The UW chapter of my life spans nearly 16 years. I have given my blood, sweat, and tears to this ministry, and God has used it all to further his kingdom. As far as I know, to date, I am the only person to be a camper, church helper, intern, head coach, and full time staff member. While stat lines are fun, this blog is not meant to share what I did for UW, but more what God did for me through UW. There wasn't just one life changing moment, it was a life-changing 16 year adventure!
PERSONAL GROWTH - UW was a ministry were I was able to discover and further develop gifts and talents that God had given me. I was pushed way outside of my comfort zone on a number of occasions, and looking back, I am so glad I was (except for maybe when I had to coach cheerleading). I learned how to be a better leader and a better teammate. I learned how to trust people, and I learned how to trust God. There were times when I felt hopeless, drained, and weary- thinking there was no possible way that I could go on, and yet, God always showed up. I learned a lot about who I was and what I believed in through this ministry. My desire to minister to children was confirmed.
THE PLACES - Before UW, I was deeply afraid to travel, as I was a worse case scenario kind of thinker. I was never going to leave my home town, or at least that's what I had planned for myself. I can now say that I am a professional traveler, fully confident and competent in navigating around new places, new states, and huge airports-often alone or leading teams with an obscene amounts of equipment in tow. My van packing skills are developed as well. God has allowed me to visit over 20 different states and even gifted me the opportunity to travel to Malawi Africa. But most importantly, in 2005, I was able to travel to Hawaii for the first time. If you know me at all, you know that Hawaii has captured my heart, and it's a love that continues ten years later.
THE HOST HOMES - All UW staff can probably tell you, in great detail, about their best and worst host home situations (believe me, there are some crazy stories out there!) There are two families in particular who have touched my life in incredible ways and have fully adopted me into their families. My OKC family, who hosted me for at least 6 years, continues to be a source of encouragement to me (except when a Laker game is on- they can be quite harsh) and I miss them dearly. Talk about a family who loves and supports each other in everything they do! WOW! And boy do they love Jesus. I am so beyond blessed to be an Honorary McGee. And then there is my Kauai Ohana out on the Taba compound. Without UW, I would have no idea who these amazing people are. This is a family that I have completely fallen in love with, and to this day, they continue to welcome me with open arms. Kauai is an absolutely stunning place to visit, but thats not why I continue to go back year after year... its the people; its my family!
THE CHURCHES & HELPERS - Camp does not happen without these people and their passion for reaching their communities. I love to see people share in my heart for children's ministry and I get excited when I get to partner with those willing to reach the lost little ones. I am still in contact with many of the churches and volunteers that I have met along the way. Again, my OKC family and the folks at CCC, you rock my socks off! I miss you so much. All of the churches in Hawaii, I am humbled by your grace and passion. Thank you for carrying on the ministry, even though I have stepped away. You continue to bless me in so many ways!
THE KIDS - I have had the amazing and humbling opportunity to see thousands of children's lives changed as they have given their hearts to the Lord. Seeing a child boldly decide to follow Jesus never gets old! As a UW coach, you always go into camp thinking about all of the things you are going to be teaching the campers (sports, life, God), but you quickly realize how much they have to teach you! It seems that at every camp you go to, God places that one child on your heart and you hope you can make a difference. Sometimes that one child is such a joy to be around and sometimes, that camper is the one person causing you the most stress. But here's the thing... they are both equally loved and cherished by God and are in desperate need of His salvation. Today I received a message about a boy in Oklahoma who would fit the later of the two descriptions. He was a rough kid who was on the verge of being kicked out of camp, but for some reason, we were able to develop a bond. God strengthened that bond throughout the week and it culminated in him accepting the Lord with me at his side on the very last day! I have never been more emotionally spent over a child. I can say with full confidence that it was all in God's strength and not my own. Reggie is doing okay. He is headed into 10th grade now and is about to start at his fourth school in three years! I pray that no matter what that boy faces, he will know that he is loved unconditionally and that his salvation is secure in Christ!
THE SUMMER STAFF - or as I like to call you, my friends! I guess its true what they say about those who serve in the trenches together... they become family. I wish I could write something to every single one of you to let you know just how amazing you are, but then no one would want to read this blog because it would take them hours. Whats horribly tragic, yet amazingly wonderful about these UW relationships is that while some of us maybe thousands of miles apart and rarely see each other, when we do, its as if we never left! We share an incredible bond! This past week, I spent time with the current Hawaii team on the island of Kauai. I only knew one of them, a former intern of mine. The rest were all UW rookies, but I knew what they were going through and was able to share advice and encourage them. God chose each and everyone of us deeply flawed people, within the context of sports, to share the gospel to children all around the world. We have let down our guards, shared our hearts, prayed together, worshipped together, acted insanely together, rocked out to some crazy-awesome kids music together, and even allowed Josh to finally win a game of knock out together! The memories are endless and completely priceless. To those of you who were ever on a team with me - thank you for putting up with this Golden Retriever Beaver Lion (no otter to be found) hot mess of a person. It was an honor to serve along side of you. THE UW FULL TIME STAFF - You have seen me at my best and at my worst. You have challenged me in ways that I never saw coming. You showed me how to have patients and how to give grace. You showed me how to serve God with all of my heart. And you forced me to become more organized! Tim, Al, Molly, Banty, Drew, Josh, Aimee, Jess, Kristi, Julia, Janae, Kevyn, Ryan, Louie, Nate, Levi, and Sam - Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I am beyond blessed to know each and every one of you. I know it wasn't always pretty, but I wouldn't trade my time on staff for anything. God used each of you to mold me into a better person and I only hope that I was able to do the same. I miss you all.
Lord, I thank you for the vision you gave Tim all those years ago, to use sports as an evangelistic tool to reach kids for Christ. Thank you for allowing me to be apart of it for as long as you did. You provided me an opportunity to serve where all of my gifts and talents could be utilized and grown. I praise you for each person you brought into my life through this ministry. The relationships I have developed are worth more than gold to me. I am humbled that you have used me to help further your kingdom and I pray that you will continue to use this ministry to accomplish your mission. Be with the teams who are out this summer. Please give them the extra boost of energy and perseverance they need to finish well. I pray tonight for all of the children who have found your through UW. I pray that you will continue to surround them with people who will help point them to you. I will never forget the words sung by Casting Crowns used in one of the training videos... "How refreshing to know you don't need me; how amazing to find that you want me!" Thank you for wanting me to be apart of this ministry. I know at times, I went kicking and screaming, but clearly you had greater things in mind for me than I had for myself. Thank you for the past, present, and future blessings upon UW. Amen!
To all things UW... much love!
Here are some of the highlight videos to make you smile.... or cry if you're me!
2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1l0um5g4AI&list=PLF01AE110E1737036&index=4
2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3Mro_-REcw&index=13&list=PLF01AE110E1737036
2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUgqUQv8xvE&list=PLF01AE110E1737036&index=15
2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7m9wJZJY8Y&index=25&list=PLF01AE110E1737036
2011
https://vimeo.com/24935766
2012
https://vimeo.com/44077752
No comments:
Post a Comment